Things You Don't Know About Kerala Floods

It was a normal, rainy day of August 15. India was celebrating its 71st year of Independence. School was closed, and I was sitting in front of the box, with my morning dose of caffeine (you know what I mean), watching India celebrate her independence. It was raining 'cats and dogs' since early morning. Everyone, including me, thought this rain would subside after sometime, like how it rains any other day. But little did we know that this rain would be... ONE HECK OF A RAIN!

After the Prime Minister's address, I switched off the television and went back to doing my own thing, which apparently is studying. But I got a message saying that my exams have been postponed because of heavy flooding in school.

"Shit... Did I hear 'heavy flooding'?"

I became nervous. My fridge had gone down due to voltage fluctuations, and if it floods near my area, I am certainly DOOMED, as I neither had enough stock of food nor did I have any refrigerating options. But the people of Thrissur have a belief-

"You are living close to Vadukkumnathan (a deity in the famous Vadakkumnathan Temple of Thrissur). You are safe in His hands. No calamity can harm you in any way."

I rushed out to buy foodstuffs, so as to store them, if at all anything happens. But all the stores were running out of essentials like bread, milk, etc. Yet, I managed to buy a few essentials.

Luckily, I had power throughout the whole situation, but since there were fluctuations, I did not DARE to switch on any appliances, lest they be damaged. I was spending most of my time on social media, spreading awareness on certain SOS numbers.


See the source image
A person carrying his child and crossing a flooded road

                                                                                                          (Photo courtesy: indiatimes.com)                                      
See the source image
A rescue operation in progress


The flood situation in Kerala has now reduced its intensity and Keralites have started going back to their normal lives. Relief camps are now being vacated, with people going back, with a fresh start. People are now busy with cleaning their houses, which is filled with dirt and grime, local authorities  busy restoring broken roads and bridges, etc. The River Bharathapuzha, has dried up yet again, and it looks as if nothing like a flood has happened. The thirty-five dams that were opened during the floods, which were 'accused' by the people for causing the floods, have been closed except for the Idukki Dam, whose shutters have been lowered.

The most appreciable fact is that, during this entire situation, no political party even dared to open their mouths against their opposition. Everyone, irrespective of their caste, creed, gender, stood and worked together, shoulder-to-shoulder, hand-in-hand. It seemed as if everyone had understood the fact that they need to stand together to face this challenge thrown to them by Mother Nature, who was exploited by us for our own gains. Even the Kerala media was constantly reporting each and every piece of information, which is quite surprising. Even our former Prime Minister, Atal Bihari Vajpayee's passing away did not bother the media, but they did do a small programme on him after the intensity of the situation had decreased.

But some of the national media did not cover the flood situation as it was done by the media in the South, as the calamity was NOT declared a national disaster by the Central Government.

The Central Government too, did everything in their power to help the state overcome the situations. The Navy, Air Force and the Army was deployed in several districts of Kerala, to help the victims. But members of the armed forces, that were deployed in the state for the rescue operations, were quite surprised by the courage of the locals. The words of one such armed personnel, who was deployed in the rescue operations in the state, resonates in my mind as I write-

"I came here to help the flood victims. But I see no victims around but brave and courageous souls."

Although the Central Government had initially declared a fund for Rs. 100 Crores, PM Narendra Modi has declared another Rs. 500 Crores for the state. Help was, and is continuing to pour in from most parts of the world. The Qatar and UAE Government has contributed a sum of Rs. 500 Crores and Rs. 700 Crores respectively. But the Central Government has objected to it, as it is 'claimed' to be a violation to certain policies of the country.

Lakhs of people were displaced, many killed, houses destroyed, and many were left stranded on the second-floors and terraces of their houses. Places like Munnar and Pathanamthitta were completely isolated. Even Thrissur (the city in which I live in, if you don't know) was isolated. But Keralites find success even from the smallest ray of hope and I am sure, this time too, they shall find success in building a new Kerala. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadow Cabinet in Kerala

Is it a hung government in Karnataka?